Irish Medtech Skillnet

Foreword Ann O'Connell

Skillnet Ireland actively supports and works with businesses in Ireland to address their current and future skills needs. Skillnet Ireland was established in 1999 and is funded from the National Training Fund (NTF) through the Department of Education and Skills (DES). The Irish Medtech Skillnet, established in 2008 provides training to Medical Technology, Pharmaceutical, Biologics, Biopharma manufacturers.

Working in partnership with Skillnet Ireland and our contracting organisation, the Irish Medtech Association (Ibec sector), The Irish Medtech Skillnet has over the past number of years grown substantially in direct response to the training needs of Industry. Total expenditure (2008 – 2014) is over €3.4 million, with 40% contribution from member companies and remaining 60% funded by the state. Targets of over 5,000 trainees and 26,000 training days have been achieved.

On behalf of our Steering Committee I am pleased to present our training plan. Programmes have been designed to reflect the training needs of the industry. The network provides opportunities to develop and deliver both new and existing training programmes. Apart from delivering training in Continuous Improvement (Lean/6 Sigma) for operators the network goes a great deal further with programmes in quality, technical, research and development, as well as highly strategic sectoral programmes developed for middle and senior management and includes accredited programmes recognised on the National Framework of Qualifications.
The network also provides opportunities to assist with company specific training events.
If you are not already involved I would encourage you to contact us.

Irish Medtech Skillnet is fully supportive of the Government’s efforts to effectively address and limit the spread of COVID-19 and to safeguard the protection of public health and that of our stakeholders.
The management team are continuing to work and are available to discuss any queries that our businesses or trainees have regarding our scheduled training programmes and supports for businesses.
In support of this national effort, we have put in place online and virtual training/events; instead of face to face and classroom based.
Irish Medtech Skillnet will continue to process bookings for all our programmes in 2020, and will ensure as much online and virtual programmes as possible during COVID-19.

We are also available to discuss your queries about any other future programmes we offer to businesses within the Irish Medtech Association.
Our Network contact details can be found on our contact us page

We would remind our stakeholders that the HSE website www.hse.ie is the authoritative source of information and advice on the situation regarding COVID-19 in Ireland.
We will keep this information updated in the coming weeks. Further information is also available on the Skillnet Ireland website.


Ann O’Connell
Head of Funded projects for Medtech & Engineering